Wednesday, September 2, 2015

Day 2 Road Back to Missouri

I didn't get quite the start I had intended as I was messing around putting the blog post up and I forgot about the time change so instead of getting to Edgewood New Mexico at about 9:30 I didn't get there until about 12:30 p.m. No harm really just made getting to the hotel Wednesday night later than I had intended.

I liked Busy Bee Quilts in Edgewood very much.  They are a small shop but they have some really nice things and some beautiful quilts.  I was especially drawn to the paper pieced block of the month.  I talked to the owner about it and she said they had 50 people signed up for the first round and cut it off there.  They are starting it again this month and already have 25 people participating.  It costs about $25 or $28 per month for 13 months plus you have to pay for the first and last month to start.  I decided against it because I already have so much on my plate.


I was impressed that they have youtube videos up how to do one of their sampler quilts which was pretty impressive.  You might want to check out their youtube channel.
There were a number of patterns from the shop which is always special.

The store is run by a couple.  Both the husband and wife were extremely helpful and chatty.  I enjoyed talking to both.    There were several quilts hanging up I found very attractive and they had a nice selection of fabric: batiks, 30's, Civil War, and novelty too.  







They also have one of the best row by row designs I've seen so far so I had to get the kit.  Even though the shop is small I would recommend getting off the highway and checking them out.
Then I was back on the road toward Tucumcari to stop at Dessert Rose Center.  The best think about this shop was the art quilt they are raffling off.  It was hanging in the window so I couldn't get a very good picture but it captured the Route 66 vibe that I love.
This shop didn't have a lot of fabric or patterns but they had some marvelous displays and a huge class room.  They did have a nice selection of southwest fabric and a lot of cute displays and antiques but as a quilt shop it was not my favorite.  But if I were a local I would consider myself lucky since the classroom set up was roomy and had everything you could possibly need.

I did buy a row by row pattern kit because the design was dependent upon the fabric.  This birds nest was so fun.  The owner told me this has the little strips she cuts off when she is cutting fat quarters and there is some from every fat quarter she has done during the 8 years they've been open.

No comments:

Post a Comment