Sunday, July 3, 2016

Super Saturday going to the Twelve Apostles

Well Bre did it again!!!!  She planned a great Saturday for us.  We got up relatively early to drive about 3 hours over to see the Twelve Apostles, which is this natural outcropping in the ocean.  However, before we jumped in the car to start our journey we walked down to a local cafe/bakery and picked up some brekkie (honestly that is what they call it here).  In this cafe, was maybe the most attractive man I've ever seen in my life.  Bre agreed and she described his dimples as big enough to swim in.  A very lovely way to start our day!!!!!  Sorry ladies, no picture of the hottie.  I would have been too embarrassed to ask, "hey you are so hot can I take your picture?"  I did get a snap of the lovely pastries.





Bre programmed the GPS and we were off.  About an hour into the trip, we discovered the GPS was taking us on the shortest route not the prettiest route so we turned it off once we found the Great Ocean Road.  OMG, OMG, OMG!!!!!!!!    So pretty.  It was sort of like New Zealand, you get to a spot and you think it can't get any prettier and then you go around a curve and it is even more gorgeous.  Bre was glad she was driving as it was very windy curvy and she has a tendency to get car sick.  She also played art director telling me where to take pictures as she was speeding down the road (although totally obeying all speed limits).  We did take a lot of moving car pictures which some of them turned out surprisingly well.

Did I mention my daughter likes to tell me what to do almost as much as my mother likes to tell me what to do?  But she does have a good eye for what will make a beautiful picture.

Our first stop was hugely successful.  We found very clean public toilets and the play ground had an adult swing that both Bre and I gave a try.  She even had me take a slow motion video which is one of the cool features on the iphone that I covet.  This is the normal speed video as she has the slow motion one on her phone.



 At this same stop was a beautiful light house which I wanted to take some pictures of.  Bre drove me to the top of this big hill dropped me off since there wasn't any parking and was going to come back and get me after I took some shots.  However, it was so pretty I told her she needed to come up and see it.  I thought it would take her a while to walk up the hill since it was pretty steep but no way my athletic daughter just runs up this giant hill.  I sometimes wonder how we can be related?  When we got back to the car the area was inundated with a group of Asian tourists which was sort of the story for the rest of the day.  Australia is apparently a tourist mecca for the Asian market year round.

Then we got back in the car to be enthralled with some of these gorgeous views.







Amazing, right?  We stopped for lunch in Apollo Bay and had this great meal at Sandy Feet Cafe and Health Food.  Bre had a wonderful bowl of soup and I had a delicious veggie frittata.  Both were very filling.  We finally arrived at the Twelve Apostles at about 2 p.m.  It was a long drive but so amazing.  When we pulled into the parking lot of the visitor's area there were about 5 buses of Asian tourists.  There were selfie sticks everywhere but then I was guilty of being photographing tourist as well.

I even made Bre take a selfie of us but it is on her phone.  Oh darn.  Here are some of the pictures I took.






Bre told me this wonderful story about the formations.  Apparently, until the mid 90s there was a natural bridge that went from the land out to one of the outcroppings.  A couple walked out on the bridge about 3 minutes before it collapsed forever.  They were stranded on the formation for hours until they could arrange a helicopter rescue.  Turns out this couple had been having an affair and now here they were all over the news.  I'm thinking it must have made the time they were stranded even longer.

On the drive back we took the shorter route and ended up at Vegilicious in time for an early dinner.  I wanted to have the Sexy Mushrooms again but Bre suggested I try something different.  See I told you she bossed me around.  I did order this wonderful veggie sandwich and had some delicious fries with it.  Life is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment