Friday, January 27, 2017

Such fun

Well today was a wonderful day in Florida.  I started the morning checking out the dock where the Aya Fiber Studio is located.  I just love boats and water.



Could be part of the reason I live on a lake.  I went to the second day of a Shibori needle stitching class early as I wanted to take some photos but didn't realize I was over an hour early.  I felt bad for encroaching on Suzanne's free time but I did get some nice pics.  Also got a jump on stitching out this bird that I wanted to try.

No automatic alt text available.

Next time I won't put the tail at such a steep angle.   The rest of my attempts today were pretty dismal in the afternoon.  I tried a fat quarter with resist to keep the die from permeating the fabric.  This resist ended up pretty blue with not as much contrast as I would have liked.  I also tried this stitching method where you fold the fabric and backstitch tightly so that the only thing that is white is your stitching line.  I must not have pulled the stitches hard enough cuz there wasn't any white.  Regardless of the outcome of these little samples, I learned a bunch and enjoyed the class a lot.  Just sitting around in this old fish house that was converted to artist's studios right on the water was lovely.  We took a break and went to see some of the work of Cristina de la Vega who did oil landscapes.  Breath taking.  She took a minute to explain why this painting I thought was amazing needed a lot more work.

While we were visiting, a couple with an English Setter was watering their dog and I started to chat with the woman.  Turns out she was a quilter, small world.  However, she is an art quilter and told me about an exhibit in Stuart of 40 art quilts.  Imagine my joy when I found out they were having a reception this evening and I would be able to go!!!!!!!!!  Yeehaw.

The exhibit was in two rooms of the Cultural Center.  Here are a few of my favs. (I apologize to the artists as I rushed through the exhibit and didn't note their names.)









It was a great day and now I'm off to bed to get ready for DISNEYWORLD.!!!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment